AFTERNOON   |   EVENING   |   RANDOM THOUGHTS
(12) Wisconsin-Milwaukee over (5) Alabama : The Panthers jumped on top early and shut down every Crimson Tide run. UWM is athletic and capable of advancing even further.
(4) Boston College over (13) Pennsylvania : After a dominating first half, the Eagles let Penn get back in the game but still came away with the win. Round two will be much tougher.
(1) Washington over (16) Montana : After a 16-0 start, Washington cruised most of the way. The Grizzlies made a run but never threatened the Huskies.
(8) Pacific over (9) Pittsburgh : This was probably the second best game of the afternoon. The Tigers roared out of the gates and then held off a pesky Pitt team.
(6) Utah over (11) UTEP : Andrew Bogut, as expected, carried the Utes on his back in the game of the day thus far. UTEP stormed back late in the second half but came up short.
(3) Oklahoma over (14) Niagara : The Purple Eagles were in the game for 25 minutes but couldn't keep pace as the Sooners pulled away and cruised to the victory.
(7) Cincinnati over (10) Iowa : The Bearcats quieted some of their postseason criticism. Cincy jumped out to a huge lead, and though Iowa got close, the 'Cats controlled throughout.
(2) Kentucky over (15) Eastern Kentucky : The Colonels played a great game, but too many turnovers kept it out of reach. UK must improve vastly before Saturday.
THREE AFTERNOON STARS
Jason Maxiell, Cincinnati : 22 PTS, 8-11 FG, 2-2 3PT, 9 REB
Ed McCants, UW-Milwaukee : 21 PTS, 5-9 3PT, 3 AST, 2 STL
Andrew Bogut, Utah : 24 PTS, 9-13 FG, 2-3 3PT, 11 REB, 4 BLK
(1) Illinois over (16) Fairleigh Dickinson : The Illini turned in one of the most disappointing performances of the day but still won by double-digits.
(9) Nevada over (8) Texas : The losses of Tucker and Aldridge stung Texas for the last couple of months, and nothing was different on Thursday. The Pack moves on again.
(11) UAB over (6) LSU : It was total domination for Mike Anderson's squad over the Tigers. It will be interesting to see how UAB fares against 'Zona on Saturday.
(3) Arizona over (14) Utah State : As expected, the Aggies hung in there for a while, but the more-talented Arizona pulled away in the second half and cruised to the win.
(6) Texas Tech over (11) UCLA : The Raiders had perhaps the evening's most impressive performance and are one of the hottest teams in the nation right now.
(3) Gonzaga over (14) Winthrop : The Eagles played great but couldn't pull through. Gonzaga will have to be on their game Saturday against Texas Tech.
(7) West Virginia over (10) Creighton : This one likely earns game of the day honors. It wasn't decided until a WVU slam dunk with just a couple seconds remaining.
(2) Wake Forest over (15) Chattanooga : The Deacons struggled early and were down at the half but pulled away in the final 20 minutes for the victory.
THREE EVENING STARS
Adam Morrison, Gonzaga : 27 PTS, 12-19 FG, 3-6 3PT, 6 REB, 5 AST
Ronald Ross, Texas Tech : 28 PTS, 11-20 FG, 2-4 3PT, 7 REB, 3 STL
Marvett McDonald, UAB : 21 PTS, 7-12 FG, 5-8 3PT
Top five performances of the day: (1) UW-Milwaukee, (2) UAB, (3) Texas Tech, (4) Cincinnati, (5) Nevada....Top five disappointing (yet winning) performances: (1) Illinois, (2) Kentucky, (3) Wake Forest, (4) Gonzaga, (5) Washington....Top five games of the day: (1) West Virginia over Creighton, (2) Utah over UTEP, (3) Nevada over Texas, (4) Pacific over Pittsburgh, (5) Kentucky over Eastern Kentucky....Only three lower-seeded teams won today, UWM over Alabama, Nevada over Texas, and UAB over LSU....The SEC had a horrible day with LSU and Alabama losing and Kentucky playing a poor game....The Big East is 2-0 with WVU and BC victories....CUSA is also 2-0 thanks to Cincinnati and UAB....On to day two!
|Copyright © 2005 SouthernCollegeSports.com. All rights reserved. This website is an unofficial and independently operated source of news and information not affiliated with any school, team, or league.|